The Ranthambore Fort is a historic hill fort located within the boundary of the heritage site of Ranthambore National Park. The price of Palace on Wheels includes a safari through this park, which will take you to regions of the fort. This fort was once an important structure of Chuhan Rajput dynasty.
This fort was built by Chauhans in 10th century. Later, the fort came into control of many rules from time to time. In 13th century, Sultan took control of the fort until Akbar captured the fort in 16th century. Later, it was passed on to Rajputs and came under the control of Kachwaha Empire of Rajputs, who made it a hunting lodge.
During 12th century, three temples were built inside the fort for Hindu Gods, Ramlalaji, Ganesh and Shiva. Although the fort is in ruins today, it is a major tourist attraction.
Things to do
The fort’s main activity is sightseeing and exploration. Bring your cameras to take some exclusive pictures. Near the fort, you can find many sites like Surwal Lake, Kachida Valley, Jogi Mahal, Raj Bagh Ruins, Ganesh Temple, Jain Temple and others. Moreover, you have the Ranthambore Tiger Reserve around you.
How to reach?
There are numerous ways to scale the park. However, the best way to reach the fort is via jeep safari. Only jeeps can enter into deep forest region. The jeep safari can be hard during monsoon season, when the ground is slippery and marshy. You need not worry about it, as the Palace on Wheels train does not operate during the peak monsoon season.
When to visit?
As mentioned before, it is better to avoid monsoon season. Within a day, it is best to visit during early morning for two reasons. The first reason is the beauty of the fort, which is very clear during daytime. The second reason is the visibility of animals during your jeep safari. Remember that your main attraction here is the game drive to spot animals. Thus, choosing early morning makes it easier to spot animals as you can find many animals with their little ones near water sources for bathing and drinking.
Preparing for the trip
- Choose to wear thick socks and waterproof shoes. You would be spending considerable amount of time on your feet. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes.
- No matter when you visit the place, you would need sunscreen. Winter’s sun can also be harsh on your skin.
- Bring a bottle of water and a small pack of snack (if you are visiting with a toddler). However, do not litter the ground.
- Follow every guidelines of the guide. If your driver explains that, a route is not safe to take, do not persuade or bribe him. It is for your own safety. Jumping out of the jeep, trying to scare animals with stones and other behaviors can turn into danger.
- You might have to wait for a considerable amount of time for your jeep to arrive. You might not spot tigers during your trip. Therefore, patience is very important during this excursion.